What we do
Oxfam in Sri Lanka’s focus areas
We have three main areas of focus, they are;
- Economic Justice: we work to ensure that poor and vulnerable women and girls, and their families, have enough food to eat, and have more sustainable and resilient jobs or ways of making money.
- Gender Justice: Oxfam wants poor and vulnerable women and girls to be able to exercise their rights and live free from violence. There must be more women in positions of leadership influencing structures, processes, and action for equitable social change.
- Disaster Preparedness and Humanitarian Aid: we support communities, particularly women, exposed to and affected by disasters, climate change, and conflict to lessen, prepare for and survive these shocks.
In addition, two important themes inspire all our work, they are;
- Peacebuilding: Oxfam works to establish an understanding of what causes conflict. We work to increase capacity for building peace, preventing and reducing conflict.
- Right to be heard: We promote active citizen participation, the inclusion of diverse social groups, and responsive governance.
To achieve our objectives, Oxfam supports strong civil society actions, networks, and partnerships. We call for greater accountability by the government and other responsible development partners.